Friday, August 26, 2011

2Corinthians 5:16

"From now on, we regard no one according to the flesh..."- 2Corinthians 5:16. That is, according to worldly standards. When you first read that verse you may think just physical appaearance, but it's not just that. It's a call to forget ones present physical life and possessions. It's a demand to put away our differences and boil us down to what we have in common- being new children in God's eyes. The world has so may different classes: rich, poor, middle class. The church can even have so much pride within it's members, deeming someone so sinful that they wouldn't spend time with them unless they felt it a service. We aren't better then anyone else. I love so much that God blesses me with so many oppurtunities to talk to strangers, just listen, just encourage. To take time out of my day to weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice. I let so many things keep me from people. I'm remembering our equality, and everyones need for God. He died for all of us. ALL OF US. I've been meditating on 2Corinthians 5:16.
Tonight these two girls walked into marini's and they sat at our counter applying more makeup then they were already wearing. I stopped cleaning the counters and I told them that they were so beautiful as they were. And the stories began. They told me they were having a bad day, and they continued to tell me about their lives. One of them was raised in a homeless shelter and in a very unhealthy relationship. The other told me about her fear of being cheated on and that she only dates guys she knows it won't get to serious with. I got too listen. They got to be heard. It didn't matter that they were much older then I was. Or that they were wearing shorter shorts than I would ever wear. It doesn't matter. I can see those things, but I regarded them as Christ does- loved. It was such a blessing. I love strangers. I have been told so many times to not spend time with the homeless, to go home as quickly as I can after work because it's dangerous down town being my age and a girl. And maybe it is, but I don't care. I don't have fear. If there was any way to die or be harmed, I would be blessed if it was after closing when I choose to take the left over strawberries or messed up apples we can't sell and give them to the homeless clan that hangs out on the corner of new leaf every single night. These people have stories. Have you ever asked a homeless person how they got where they are? Have you ever listened to them? I want to overcome barriers, I want to sit, I want to listen. My God loves, cares and listens. Let us not regard anyone according to the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment