Wednesday, December 2, 2009

to float or drown?

This has been my favorite story in the whole entire Bible for so long

We all know the story, God walks on water.
"Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind has risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o'clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on water. When the disciples saw him walking on water, they were terrifified. In their fear, they cried out, "It's a ghost!" But Jesus spoke to them at once. "Don't be afraid," he said "take courage. I am here!" Then Peter called to him, "Lord, if it's really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water." "Yes, come" Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus But when he saw the strong wind and waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me Lord!" he shouted. Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. "You have so little faith," Jesus said. "Why did you doubt me?" Matthew 14:24-31.
The simple fact being, we are all Peter. We all lose faith, begin to sink. But when Peter first saw God he believed, he could walk above the water. The Ocean representing our problems, the trials we face in life. As we walk along the trials our faith may start out strong, but the harder the trial, the harder it seems to trust what God is doing. And we take our eye off Jesus, and look at the waves of problems we have, and begin to sink. And while we are drowning we forget Jesus screaming at us: "Don't be afraid, take courage I am here!". Our faith wavers if we study the bad in life, but our faith grows if we don't forget what God has promised. The promise to always be there, we shouldn't be afraid. If we focus on the waves and don't look to Christ for help, I don't know how we expect to be saved. Our wisdom isn't enough, we are called to our savior. I remember last year I was having a really, really hard time. I felt so alone, and I only further isolated myself from my friends, from my Lord. But in the midst of all that drowning, I realized I wasn't alone, I wasn't going through this for no reason. But God promises me a light at the end of the tunnel, a lifevest to keep me from drowning. But more importantly spiritual growth, a new closeness to him after enduring the pain. I remember one night,I was crying, no longer because I felt alone but Because I was finally found. I finally took God's offer, the offer to love me, the offer of giving my worries to him. And no one could say that things have been perfect since the moment they devoted themselves to God, but I know everyone could say they are thankful for the reality God is living, protecting, and loving us. I don't want to be Peter, I don't want to drown, I only hope that when I am faced with trial once more, I don't forget God this time. after all, how could i doubt him?

1 comment: